March 1, 2010

Chapter 6 - Believing God For His Best

March 1, 2010
I have had a hard time writing about his chapter. I am not sure exactly why though - there's just so much packed into this chapter and a ton of it is really OVER my head ;). Maybe some of you can give me some of your insight into this chapter. There are a few things that jumped out at me that I want to share:

pg. 70 "I want my children to love God. I tell them often that a passionate love for God and a constant awareness of His grace is their heritage and that neither mediocrity nor legalism has a place in our family line. I want my children to love God's Word and discover the life, healing, and power within it. I want my children to love people and treat them with compassion and kindness .... I want glory to come to God through my children"

Sometime after having Colton I had a business associate email me congratulations and in his email he ask me what I thought a the time a really thought provoking question: "how would you like Colton to serve the world?" ... my first response to myself was " I do not want him to serve the world, only serve our Lord"... however, I understood what he meant by the question and decided to blog about it in our family blog... you can find that by here: http://chrisandsummerjobrooks.blogspot.com/2008/09/thought-provoking.html ... I will share that post in this blog later. I think it is something for all parents to think about though and write those thoughts down... I plan on having it printed up and framed for Colton's room.

Let's move on...

I'm appreciative of how Beth elaborates on "the greater yes" - if "the greater yes" is what we are seeking then this is why it is so important to pray for God's will to be done in our lives. Even if deep down that is not our desire in particular situations/prayer request - God is able to change our desires. I know I have had to ask him to do that in my own life... make my desires be what he desires for my life.

In my own church fellowship right now it seems like illness and cancer is haunting almost every pew. At times it becomes overwhelming to think about... My husband and I counted up 10 people that we know of at this present time, within our church family that has cancer. Ultimately there will be some that are healed here on earth and there will be other who will receive their healing in heaven. Beth does a great job of hitting this subject in the homework tutorial for this book...
"we just do not know why God physically heals some and not others. We can know without a shadow of doubt that the issue is not a lack of divine love or kindness. Many eternal factors are involved that we won't understand until we see Christ face-to-face. Until then we must not lack faith for the healing of many because we don't see the healing of all"

For a greater understand do some supplement reading about Paul in Philippians 1:20-27

We have to walk by faith - and in walking by faith we are "freed to know that my God is huge and my God is able and that if I don't get what I asked, if I'll cooperate, I'll get something bigger".

I think sometimes when we think of miracle we seem to think of someone being healed of cancer or some other life threatening illnesses. Miracles are on all different "levels" - we just have to be watching for them!

Faith Journaling:
Pour out your heart to God over someone you love who could use a miracle of healing. Tell God the desires of your heart and ask Him how He would have you pray. Ask Him for the faith to believe that He is God; that He can do what He says He can do; and that if He does not grant the requested miracle, He will grant a greater one.



blog comments powered by Disqus