June 7, 2010

The Birth of Anna Claire ... Part 1

June 7, 2010

It’s funny how two birthing experiences can be so different. With Colton (which you can read about here) I had what most would refer to as a “typical” labor. This time around it was quite different. For most of my pregnancy things were different. I was sick just as I was with Colton, but the sickness lasted longer and seemed to be much worse. With Colton once the sickness subsided all I wanted to do was eat as much greasy food as possible! With Claire I had to eat first thing in the morning, before even taking a drink of water or I would end up hanging over a trashcan and Colton laughing hysterically at me. It’s all kind of comical now. Also, my body could not handle the grease, but it sure did love the sweets!

36 weeks (and 2 days) I went to the ob and was barely a centimeter dilated. 37 weeks (and 2 days) I went in and was at 3 centimeters. I was not surprised by the 37 week visit b/c I had been noticing more contractions and could almost feel my body getting ready. I actually thought that I would have Claire that weekend, I was almost sure of it. We spent the weekend at Chris’ dads because he is closer (by 30 minutes) to the hospital and we had planned on leaving Colton there when we went to the hospital. Just a side note, but Colton and I had never spent the night apart… pitiful, I know! I didn’t go into labor that weekend, but it was a great “trial run” for Papaw to learn the ropes of Colton’s bedtime routine and etc…

Wednesday the 19th of May: My appointment was at 10:15 that morning and I woke up an anxious as ever. I had told Chris the night before and several times that morning that he needed to get his overnight bag packed just in case. The pelvic and back pain I was experiencing by this time was a direct indication of Claire beginning to make a descent. There were also several other indications that week of my body getting ready for labor – I will spare you the details. Arriving at the ob’s office I made my way to the dreadful scales to view the doomful numbers 163 in front of me… I had really made it my goal to keep it under 165 (I delivered Colton at 160 pounds). The nurse was telling us that she had already walked 2 girls over to labor and delivery that morning and I could very possibly be the 4th. I told her that really did not fit into my plans for the day… hahaha. My ob examined me and was elated to tell me I was 6 to 7 centimeters dilated and that I was contracting then. She was on call that day and wanted me to go check into labor and delivery because she was certain that baby was coming soon. I told her I couldn’t because we had to get Colton to the grandparents and I needed to do some shoe shopping – She didn’t find it funny and insisted that I make it back to the hospital as soon as I could. We decided to get Colton and Chris a quick lunch and head back toward the lake to drop Colton off to his Papaw. The ride home I was texting everyone letting them know what was going on… it was funny because everyone was in such a panic except us. We ended up taking our time and made it back to the hospital around 3pm.


blog comments powered by Disqus