October 30, 2010

Guest Post: What Do You Stand For?

October 30, 2010
If you have known me for any length of time you probably know that I am a hardcore conservative Republican and I love a good open political debate. In my mind next Tuesday is going to be one of the biggest elections I have seen in my lifetime - I feel like this can either "make us or break us".

With that being said I would like to introduce you to Megg. She is a 27 year old Newlywed living in Washington. She has written this post that I am sure all of you can relate to. You can find Megg's blog by clicking here.
____________________________________________________________

"The following is a paid political advertisement and may not reflect the views of this station."

I can't tell you how many times I have heard that recently while listening to the radio recently. It has gotten to the point where I am counting the days until Nov. 2 when the elections will be over. As a new resident in my state, I have no idea who I will vote for, but two things have stuck in my head:


First, "Dino Rossi is not on our side."

Second, "Patty Murray works for Washington, but which one?"


These are the mantras that I have picked up from the many many political ads that are on the TV today. As a home-owning, property-tax-paying adult, this election was something I actually wanted to pay attention to. I wanted to make a decision that was right for me, and our future family. I live by the old adage that if you don't vote you can't complain. (Not that I plan on complaining, but you get the idea). Now, don't get me wrong. I am not a politics kind of girl. I am most definitely not going to sit here and tell you that I know everything and who to vote for, because to be honest, I have no idea. I did, however, learn something important during this election. I have no idea what Dino Rossi and Patty Murray actually stand for.


Politics have changed significantly in the many years since George Washington became president. The advertisements on the TV and radio for candidates very rarely tell viewers and listeners what the candidates stand for, but rather what their opponents have done wrong. What has gone wrong with our country that candidates choose to spend all their election money bashing their opponents.


In a way, it speaks to our culture today. How often do we spend our time and energy complaining or bashing the things we don't believe, only to ignore the things we do believe in? It so important to let people know what you stand for, rather than who you are against. Don't be like the political candidates who don't know what they stand for...stand up for your beliefs. And don't forget to vote on Tuesday!


blog comments powered by Disqus