November 4, 2010

Halloween

November 4, 2010
Philippians 4 is one of my favorite chapters in the bible. I particularly cling onto verse 8 which reads:

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

As I have gotten older I have realized more and more the importance of this scripture - the importance of thinking on good things and pure and holy things and guarding my eyes and ears. And now as a mother it is extremely important for me to do the same for my children.

So needless to say, I am not a big fan of Halloween. This is because it is mainly made up of spooky and scary stuff and quite frankly I just do not like it. I detest seeing "RIP" signs in peoples yards and the use of coffins as decorations. It is disrespectful and insensitive to those who have lost loved ones.

Also, I do not give my children candy. Nope, sure don't! I know, I'm a terrible mother!! Seriously some people will roll their eyes and gasp when I tell them that. It is actually pretty funny! Colton is 26 months old and he has no clue what candy is... and he seems to be turning out pretty good so far :). I just do not feel the "need" to give it to him - why? What benefit does it hold? What nutritional value is there to it? To him a treat is a "healthy" snack from our snack bin or on occasion a freeze dried yogurt bite. He and Claire have the rest of their life to eat chocolate and sugar and ice cream, so I am going to do my best keep them clear from it as long as I can. I'm not saying he has never had sweets or never will - I'm just saying I do not make a habit of it and I certainly do not purchase it.

With all that being said - I do enjoy dressing my little ones up and going to trunk or treat at our church to see all the cute little ones and some big ones run around in their costumes!

























Of course, our evening would not have been complete without Colton getting to visit Garry and Melissa!

blog comments powered by Disqus