January 21, 2011

Food Friday: Almond Bark

January 21, 2011
Since I have two kiddos 2 and under I now do the majority of my shopping online.  Not to mention I find a lot of great deals with online shopping, avoid the crowds and generally get not tax and free shipping!  I love free shipping!  With all that online shopping the postman and delivery guys are knocking at my door regularly, especially during the winter season when it is harder to get the children out.  Lately I have felt so sorry for those guys because it has been so incredibly frigid!  At first I thought I would try to meet them at the door with hot chocolate, but that is a little harder to time out - so instead I have been making bunches of Almond Bark... its keeps nicely in the fridge!

Here is how you can make your own:
  • 1 cup sliced almonds - toasted in the oven at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes
Bring to a boil on medium heat to the "hard crack stage" (this will require a candy thermometer) the following:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 2 Tablespoons water

Once you get it to the hard crack stage stir in your almonds and then pour into a lined jelly pan.

Pour on 1 cup of chocolate chips (I prefer milk chocolate) ... let the chocolate chips sit for a while and melt a little on their own then spread them out over the bark.

Put it in the fridge to cool - once it cools just break it up into pieces and enjoy!

I like to double the recipe and use a whole package of chocolate chips.


blog comments powered by Disqus