March 18, 2011

Gardening - Straw Bale Gardening

March 18, 2011
I first heard about Straw Bale Gardening on one of my favorite blogs.  We live on almost 2 acres, but it is open area that would not really be good for a garden.  We have a small fenced in area in our back yard where we spend most of our time outside.  I really wanted to do a small garden this year.  We have looked into raised beds,but I have realized that that could get really expensive in order to do it right.  I also thought we could buy really large flower pots and plant in those as well.  There are a lot of rabbits and squirrels around so I know it could be a task keeping them out of the "garden".  So now that has brought me to straw bale gardening!

MckMama ask in a tweet if anyone would be interested in doing a straw bale garden and sharing our progress!  So now I am totally excited and all on board, but I have no clue where to start!  Well, I guess I should start with purchasing some straw bales! ha!  I still have so many questions though:

  • Can I put the bales on my concrete patio?
  • Can I put them next to the house? ... I have a flower bed that is yuck and could be a great spot.
  • I am getting ready to start seeds w/ Colton - is it better to transplant into the bales or seed in the bale?
  • Do I need dirt on the bales????  
  • How far into the bale do I plant the plant and/or seed?
I just do not have a clue what I'm doing however, I am excited to get started!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment