July 22, 2011

Favorite Find Friday–“Run Like A Mother”

July 22, 2011
Until I became a mom I was never big on reading.  It just was not a task I enjoyed that much.  When I do read I like to read for the purpose of learning something or gaining some sort of understanding.  I do not read for the luxury of the story – I do not read fiction.  When I found out I was pregnant I started reading pregnancy, birthing, and parenting books.  I enjoy bible studies in book form as well.

Run Like a MotherYesterday I finished my newest book.  It was suggested to me by a fellow mommy blogger who has recently fell in love with running.  Run Like A Mother is a wonderful creation by two moms Dimity McDowell Davis and Sarah Bowen Shea who have both found solitude in lacing up their shoes and hitting the pavement.  I was captivated by the first page when I said to myself, “oh wow I struggle with that too!”.  I found myself saying that a lot through out the book.  I too fight the inner me daily on whether or not to sleep in or get up before 6am and meet my running partner for a good run.  The thing is – you never regret going, but you almost always regret sleeping in!


Run Like a Mother is filled with inspirational as well as practical advice on “how to keep moving without losing your family, job, or sanity”.  The authors talk about inner as well out outer/physical struggles, running attire, tackling race day, dealing with your spouse and children as well as the 3 P’s (Pee, Poo, and Periods)!  Yep, you heard me correctly!  That chapter had me rolling!

The book is sprinkled with quotes and information from other moms who run.  Some of these moms run to stay slim, some run to feel accomplished and some run to simply get away.  Dimity and Sarah helped me to realize that I do not have to run a sub 9 minute mile in order to do a half marathon.  They helped me to see that even though I presently struggle with breaking 28 minutes in a 5k and even though I do not possess that long lean one percent body fat physique that I too am a runner!

You can find this book on Amazonor your local Barnes and Noble.  They also have a great blog and a facebook page!  Go check it all out and seriously - buy this book today - you will LOVE IT!!


blog comments powered by Disqus