July 18, 2011

Mom’s Tips Monday–Advice For Brides

July 18, 2011
July is my anniversary month.  When thinking about first being married I often think about all of the things I wish I had known.  Fortunately, I did (and still do) have a wonderful lady in my life that has been a gracious mentor and has given me priceless advice along the way.  One thing she said to me early on was “never make him choose between his parents and you! – they may “make” him choose, but you never put him in that situation.”  I am sure Chris is appreciative of this piece of advice along with the many others.
Below you will find a slew of wonderful advice from some of my fellow mommy bloggers – check out their tips and their blogs!
  • The Mommy author of Long Daze Short Years - For someone planning a wedding:  The marriage is the important part - the wedding is just one day.  I think if brides-to-be spent as much time every year working on their marriage as they do planning their wedding divorce would be a thing of the past.
  • Mikaila author of And at the end of the day - PRAY FOR YOUR HUSBAND! Especially when you're mad at him. I have found that this helps me calm down the fastest and helps me be a lot more rational in our discussions.
  • Melissa author of A Heavenly Journey - My Husband's advice: In a conflict, throw water on the fire. Not kerosene.  Another anecdote I've picked up over time: When the argument becomes about who wins or loses, you've both lost.
  • Bonny author of Elephant Tales - Show the same grace to your hubby that Jesus shows to you... you arent perfect, and God is the only one who can change you- the same is true for your husband!
  • Author of Beader Bubbe’s Shop - I will be married 37 years this Dec...and my advice is in one word...respect.  We have had our ups and downs but never go to bed angry; never downgrade each other's families; and never sweat the small stuff....does it bother me that the bathroom sink is a mess after he is done - yes....but he doesnt like that fact I never replace the toilet paper....so we are not perfect, no one is..... and in the scope of things...it's not important.  He is my best friend....and we put each other first before anyone else.....that's what love is about.
  • Helen author of Helen Clyde - I will be married 37 years this Dec...and my advice is in one word...respect.  We have had our ups and downs but never go to bed angry; never downgrade each other's families; and never sweat the small stuff....does it bother me that the bathroom sink is a mess after he is done - yes....but he doesnt like that fact I never replace the toilet paper....so we are not perfect, no one is..... and in the scope of things...it's not important.  He is my best friend....and we put each other first before anyone else.....that's what love is about.
  • Linda -  I have learned to put things into perspective. There are some things in life that are just an inconvenience not a tragedy! Treat him like you would want to be treated!
  • Ruzanne author of Content2Go - For the bride...SURPRISE the groom with something he's never seen/witnessed/heard before. Like SING a song that you know means a lot to your groom. Or if he hasn't seen you dance like mad - a flamenco, interpretative ballet or even polka - just dance! You'll not just be remembered as a bride on that day... you'll be remembered as the bride who ROCKED her wedding :)
  • Kristin author of Live Love Bloom Craft - Find interesting ways to say "I love you".  When my husband and I were on our honeymoon, we listened to a radio segment about a couple that made a game out of writing S.H.M.I.L.Y (see how much I love you)  in odd places for the other one to find.  We have done this on and off over the past 9 years and it really does add a bright spot to your day to find that little note in your shoe.... or where ever.
  • Mrs. H author of My Happily Ever After - Do special things for each other *just because* whenever you can.  It doesn't have to be expensive...make welcome home signs when one of you is away, leave love notes, sing songs on each others answering machines, and just do little things to remind each other of your love.  It keeps your love fresh, exciting and fun!
  • Kimberly author of Bates Babies at Play! - Another thing that has helped me BEYOND WORDS is that it's not what you say, but how you say it. My guy is a very good listener but if I raise my voise or start with "You did" he tunes out right away. So, I always try to say "I feel" instead and I always try to start with a compliment instead of the attack. Starting with " It means a lot to me that you care so much about blah blah, however. . . ." Or something along those lines. You get the picture. I tell ya, it WORKS!!
  • Nancy author of The Wedding Queen - Our family does what are called 'warm fuzzies'--those small little things you do for someone just because you care.  Sometimes it's something you buy, often something you do. It's never expensive. I try to incorporate at least one warm fuzzy for my husband daily (more if we're on vacation! LOL)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm loving your Mom's Tips Mondays! :-)

Love In Bloom Boutique said...

Wow, thanks for including all those wonderful tips! I'll be linking Friday's post to it. Happy anniversary to the two of you and best wishes for a lifetime of serving the Lord together.

Summer Jo said...

Love in Bloom - thank you so much! And Melissa I am so glad you're enjoying them! If you have any suggestions for future posts let me know!

Post a Comment