August 3, 2011

Mom’s Tips Monday–Back to School Shopping Without Breaking the Budget

August 3, 2011

Back to school shopping can certainly put a strain on your budget.  I had not thought too much into what all it was going to cost for Colton to start K3.  You have tuition (if you choose private schooling), uniforms or back to school clothes, books, and of course all the supplies that you “need” and are required to bring to the classroom!  Below three fellow moms shared their tips on Back To School Shopping Without Breaking the Budget!

  • Rachele author of Messy Kids - I shop a little at a time as things go on sale.  Target is a great place for back to school supplies, so is Wal-Mart.  They both have great sales on crayons, pencils, erasers, glue, backpacks, and pencil boxes.  They keep their prices low right up until school starts although the cheapest prices begin now.  As for clothes I shop around a little at a time.  Some clothes I buy from Wal-mart, some Target, some TJ Max, and I love Children's Place!  Children's place will have sales end of September, early October so I try to hold out until then.  You can buy clothes online too and shipping is only $5 no matter what you purchase!  Last year I bought a good-sized pile of clothes from Children's place in October and only spent about $50.  Their clothes are good quality and trendy (but not too trendy) so my daughter was pleased with what I bought.  Famous Footwear usually has great back to school shoe sales.  It's a good place to get sketchers for kids without paying an arm and a leg.  Plus they often hold a buy 1 get the 2nd at 1/2 off sale this time of the year.
  • Michelle - I usually buy school supplies when they are on sale, usually at the end of the previous season, rather than wait til September when things are supposed to be on sale but are all triple the price.  I have a closet in my basement where we stockpile things the kids might need, and they do their "shopping" down there. I just don't want to deal with mad rushes to buy supplies when everyone else is!
  • Bee - Shop Tax-free weekend with a coupon.  Don't buy too much clothing at once--the sales will be there all year.  But, DO buy underwear for several months. Aside from the discounts, I've found that many stores don't keep their underwear/socks fully stocked throughout the year.  If your kids don't wear uniforms, don't buy a lot of fancy outfits. They will just get stained, torn, etc. Even if your child enjoys wearing dresses, buy the wash-and-wear no frills ones.  Take note of the school supplies that seem not to go on sale again during the year and get used quickly. For me, it's filler paper.

blog comments powered by Disqus