August 29, 2011

Mom’s Tips Monday–Garage/Yard Selling & Buying

August 29, 2011

I recently helped a girlfriend with her first (an my first) garage sale.  I arrived at her house around 7:30am and could not believe my eyes when I saw all that she had.  She worked for weeks preparing for the big sale and then was up at 5:30am pulling everything out of the garage that Saturday morning.  By noon she had made a ton of cash – I was shocked!  I am not one much for yard sales, but I thought wow, I might give this a try!  Because I am such a rookie I ask some fellow bloggers to share their tips!  Check it out and then share your own tips with us!

  • Alicia author of Her name is RIo - We always combine our yard sale with neighbors and friends - more stuff + more people = more fun.  My family members like to get in on the action as well. those who don't feel like doing it themselves (like grandparents) will give me stuff to sell and then give me a portion of the profit. it's a sweet deal for both of us!
  • Nikki author of Updates on the Fisher Family - We have one every year with some of our neighbors and usually make between $800-$1200 just on our stuff.  I agree with pricing to sell but since I do that, I have no problem staying firm on my price when I'm not willing to go lower (9 times out of 10, the person buys it for what I've asked).  I've found that baby/kid toys, gear and clothing are the hot ticket items for most people, electronics, not so much.  I hate "stuff" and clutter, as does my hubby so we sell anything and everything and encourage our kids to do the same.  Our daughter set up her lemonade stand at our sale in May with lemonade, cookies and cake pops for "donation only" ~ that cute 4 year old made $56 in 3 hours!  She was thrilled and it was a great chance to teach her about money :-)
  • Linds author of A Dollop of My Life - We usually have one about every other year. Just to clean out all of our junk that we don't want. It's true when they say that another man's trash is another man's treasure-- I am always astonished at what people will buy! One thing that we do to make a little extra money too is to sell drinks and hotdogs. We purchase the 'dogs from Aldi's, so the profit margin is pretty high. We would have whole van loads of families coming to buy hot dogs from us (we have an annual neighborhood garage sale, so the traffic may be a bit higher than a normal sale).
  • Ainsley author of Inside My Heaven - We had a huge yard sale last September. Here are a few tips that we picked up.  1. Be willing to negotiate prices. Many people will want to bargain with you. We sold several things for lower than the price we originally had, but it was better than losing the sale all together.  2. Two words: Free Box. We filled a large box with random things from extension cords to kids meal toys. Put it where it can be seen from the road. It will attract people, and hopefully when they stop to look at it, they'll find stuff to buy as well.  3. People really seem to like the whole "fill a bag" thing. If you have tons of similar small items (like Legos or hair accessories), you can let people fill a brown paper lunch sack for a set price, like $2.  4. Sometimes, how you display things really makes a difference. At our sale, one of my aunts had tons of jewelry to sell. She put each item in a small baggie and then used push pins to attach the baggies to a large bulletin board that was leaned up against a table. She put a mirror there, too, so people could try things on. All of her jewelry sold so well and I think her great organization had something to do with it!

blog comments powered by Disqus