August 13, 2011

That Summer

August 13, 2011

I know everyone must have that one summer in their life that is the most memorable of all and maybe it was life changing.  I have been fortunate enough to have a slew of life chaging summers – the summer I was married, the birth of Colton and then the birth of Claire, but if I had to recall on one particular summer I always go back to the one between my Junior and Senior year of high school.  It was that summer that I really got to know the guy that is now my husband and while that in itself makes it the best summer ever, it was also life changing for a different reason. 

It was that summer of 1999 that my relationship with the Lord really started to develop and deepen into something really amazing.  It was then that I really experience the power of the Holy Spirit and the power of prayer.  My pastor decided to spend a great deal of time that summer with the youth of our church and I just happened to be fortunate enough to be apart of that group.  He met with us (those of us that wanted to) twice a week.  One morning a week around 5:30 or 6am, I think it was Thursdays and then again on Saturdays.  We spent that time learning intimately about the personal attributes of the Lord and learning how to pray using The Lords Prayer as our model.  The lessons we learned and truths about the Lord that we gleaned from those early mornings have molded my Christian walk.  For this I am forever grateful for the time that my pastor gave.

Over that summer so many of us learned so much more about Our Heavenly Father and about His character and His love for us.

Our Father:

1.  Father Who Knows Me – Matthew 24:36

2.  The Lord of Heaven & Earth – Luke 10:21

3.  Holy Father – John 17:11

4.  Righteous Father – John 17:25

5.  Father of Mercies & God of all Comfort – II Corinthian 1:3

6.  Father of Spirits – Hebrews 12:9

7.  Father of Lights – James 1:17

Over the past several months I have allowed my relationship with the Lord to take a backseat – kind of tough to admit, but none the less it is the truth.  I have felt overwhelmed and convicted at the fact that at times I have failed to put Him first.  My plan was to start a new bible/book study to help me get back in the swing of things, but the Lord brought this particular life altering summer to my mind and I feel impressed to study and remember these seven personal attributes of our Lord.  Is there any better way to study God’s word than to find yourself deep within his scriptures – this is my goal!  I hope you will join me on this journey and share what the Lord is reveling in your life through his scripture.


blog comments powered by Disqus