October 24, 2011

Mom’s Tips Monday–Christmas Shopping On A Budget

October 24, 2011

Staying on budget while Christmas shopping can often be a difficult task.  Some great mom bloggers shared their tips – check them out!

  • Marlene author of Marlene’s Many Hats - My mom has a great idea for Christmas shopping.  She has an envelope for each person on her list and has a certain amount she spends on each person.  Throughout the year she sets aside cash and puts the right amount in each envelope.  She then shops with the cash and seals the receipt in each envelope so that if you have to make an exchange you have the receipt.  Using cash forces her to stay within her budget.
  • Aleta author of Aleta’s Arty Facts - An idea attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt is to shop for people throughout the year, and put the presents away till Christmas.  I've got a small family, so I don't really have the budgeting concerns.  Since I'm not a shopper, my only concern is to start early and meander. I hate shopping under pressure.  I quite like the feeling of wandering about calmly looking at Christmas displays and singing carols to myself as I browse. I don't think Christmas is supposed to make one tense and panic-stricken!
  • Meg author of Mergie - Last year we didn't have a lot of money so we didn't go overboard. There was less pressure & more thought went into the fewer gifts. It made Christmas special. The gifts were special.The food was great.I remember when people gave cookies as a gift. Or handmade gifts. That's what I'm doing this year. This year will be the same because there is no money again.  Less pressure.  More memories.
  • Carol author of Artmusedog - I tend to shop all year
  • Christina author of The Blog Entourage - I love shopping for Christmas throughout the year and especially on Black Friday. And now that I'm on Etsy, I like to trade or shop in BNR's (buy and replace treasuries). That way I get a sale in return for every item I buy!
  • Kimberly author of Life Matter’s - I write everyone's name down and have a certain amount to spend on each one.  I then make a list of ideas for each person.  Then for my immediate family...husband, son.  I pick four things off the list within the budget and for the rest of the family... I pick one gift off the list within the budget.
  • Marlene author of Marlene’s Many Hats - I'm not sure how far your gift giving goes but here is something that my brother and sister and I agreed to years ago that helped us:  Instead of buying gifts for each other, we agreed that we would exchange an ornament each year. We started it 18 years ago and those are some of my favorite ornaments.  You can buy and really cool ornament for less than $10, sometimes less than $5.

blog comments powered by Disqus