November 23, 2011

A Running Fool

November 23, 2011

Up until about two months ago I never ran with music.  I have had running partners who ran consistently with their IPods, but I had no desire to add noise to my workouts.  Once I was left to run solo I thought I would give it a try.  We had an old IPod at the house so Chris uploaded me a playlist and off I went.  It did not take long for me to become hooked.

That old IPod lasted about a month – I fried it by putting it inside my sports bra!  No fear though, my wonderful hubby surprised me with a new one!  I was totally willing to use his and let him get a new one, but he thought differently and bought me the new Nano, in orange none the less!

M_MC691LL-A

I love my new IPod and I especially love the playlist he has made for me.  The running playlist is packed with upbeat praise and worship music.

My last long run before my half marathon was last Saturday.  The weather was perfect and I was shooting for 10 miles, something I had done the previous two Saturdays.  My runs takes place on a beautiful college campus right down from my house.  Around 8 1/2 miles I was on the back stretch of the campus with the most amazing view of the mountains.  For the past hour it had been me and the Lord and my IPod.  My run had gone perfect thus far and when I realized I was going to make it to double digits again the excitement ran through me like lightening.  Ahh… then I started listening to the words of the new song playing:

I love the Lord for He head my voice
And answered my cry for mercy
Because He listened to me
I will call upon Him as long as I live
What shall I render to the Giver of life and who all things are made
What shall I render to the One who paints the oceans blue
Jesus Christ

As if those words are not enough then comes the chorus:

I will lift up a cup of salvation
Call on the Name of the Lord
How do I repay the life that You gave
I'll call on the Name of the Lord
Lift up a cup, You have already poured

At this point all I could think of was how merciful and how great the Lord had been to me.  My hands stretched to the air as I was running offering praise and worship to Him … the GIVER of life.  My surroundings were the last thing on my mind for that brief moment.  Then there is was, a car load of college students!  They drove by with a girl in the back seat hanging out the window fist pumping and yelling at me “yeah!!  yeah!!”.  I could not help, but to crack up!  They must have thought I was a running fool.  To tell you the truth though, I did not care.

Sometimes in our Christian walk others are going to think were foolish.  Maybe it is because we believe in the one true God of the bible or maybe it is because of the way we worship.  Its important for us to remember that we are not of this world.  Scripture reminds us that the Lord has called us to come out of the world (John 15:19) and be separate (II Corinthian 6:17).  It is not always to do, I know for me it is a daily battle.

Friends, I want to encourage you!  Children of God go out and do not be ashamed to give the Lord the praise that he so rightfully deserves!  If you are reading this and you do not have a personal relationship with The Giver of Life I beg of you to find someone who can tell you how to accept Christ in your life, I am also always here to help and give guidance where I can!

Much Love!


blog comments powered by Disqus