December 2, 2011

At The Cross

December 2, 2011

Yesterday was one of those no good, very bad days.  It was one where I wish I could just go back to bed and hide under the covers.  With a family to take care of throwing in the towel is not an option.  While making lunch and trying to hold it together I just started singing… I honestly did not know I was singing until Colton ask what the song was.  It was the Chorus of At The Cross:

“At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,

And the burden of my heart rolled away,

It was there by faith I received my sight,

And now I am happy all the day!”

I am so thankful for old hymns and even more thankful that the Lord puts them on my heart right at the perfect moments.  This song was originally published in 1707 by the famous hymn write Isaac Watts.  It is crazy to think that we are still singing songs that were written over 300 years ago.

The verses of this hymn are praise worthy:

Alas, and did my Savior bleed,
And did my Sov'reign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity, grace unknown,
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut his glories in,
When Christ the mighty Maker died
For man, the creature's sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face
While Calvary's cross appears,
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt mine eyes to tears.

But drops of grief can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe;
Here, Lord, I give myself away,
'Tis all that I can do.

I am so thankful that He paid a debt I could not pay.


blog comments powered by Disqus