July 27, 2012

A Decade

July 27, 2012

The more time goes bye the harder it is for me to remember a time before Chris was in my life.  I prefer it that way.  Today we are celebrating 10 years, a decade of marriage!  It is like I blinked and here we are.  Our first two and a half years of marriage we were college students, the last four years we have been parents.  It is amazing to think about where the Lord has brought us from and brought us through.

What has 10 years marriage taught me?

  • I cannot rely on my spouse for my total happiness… that is too much responsibility for any one person.  I have to learn to lean on the Lord more and more each day.
  • That I am valuable.  I know that my husband not only loves me, but he finds me valuable.
  • You have to be friends.  Chris is my best-friend and I would not have it any other way.
  • My bad mood will rub off on others (ahem, my hubby) so “fake it until I make it”
  • Do not ever criticize your husband to others.  Never de-masculinize your husband… you should be his biggest cheerleader at all times.
  • Do not fight in public (around family, friends, etc…) or around your children.  Have your disagreements in private.  Sometimes if you wait until you are in private you may just forgot what your disagreement was about.
  • Holding hands is important so hold often!
  • Always have each others back… be in one another's corner – even if the other is wrong.
  • Everyone needs downtime.
  • Know and utilize his love language.  It is important to work at making your spouse feel loved … not the way I feel it, but they way he feels it.  Just because our needs are not the same does not mean that his needs are not important.
  • My spouse (or my children) do not complete my, Christ does, but my husband makes me want to be a better person.
  • Teamwork is important… be a team!
  • That a happy marriage really does exist.

Happy Anniversary My Christopher!  If I had to choose again, I would choose you!


blog comments powered by Disqus