August 18, 2012

Cleaning Calendar

August 18, 2012

There are days when I feel like all I do is clean.  It is overwhelming to say the least.  I am sure this is the case though for most stay at home moms.  When you are your little ones are home all day you use your house, so there is constantly something that needs to be cleaned or straightened up.  This is especially so for my kitchen – where I spend the majority of my time.

My husband and I chose for me to stay home with our little ones so I could spend time with them, help them learn and grow into the little people we desire God desires for them to be.  The last thing I want is for them to get older and say “I do not really remember my mom playing with me I just remember her cleaning all the time.”  I realize this may sound silly to some, but honestly that is one thing that I remember most from my childhood – my mom cleaning.  Then once I was old enough to clean myself I feel like that when I was home that is what I did – clean.

Realizing that keeping a tidy and clean home is a priority and also realizing that hiring a housekeeper is not in the cards for our family (right now… ha ha) I knew I had to figure something out.   I have tried a few different cleaning schedules, but in the end they all seemed too detailed and once again overwhelming.  That was until I ran across a cleaning calendar on Pinterest.  I adopted this calendar for myself, making a few minor adjustments.  So far it is working great for me.

Picture1

The morning duties are sort of a given.  Chris, my superhero, makes every effort to unload the dishwasher for me in the mornings before he goes in to the office.  This makes my entire day go soooo much smoother!  A lot of it has to do with the fact that I loathe unloading the dishwasher and I will stack dishes in the sink all day to avoid unloading.  So at the end of each day we load and start the dishwasher, I even run it if it is not entirely full.  This use to irritate my frugal husband, but he now realizes how much easier it makes my day and is good about making sure it gets done.

Making the bed is something I have almost always done in the mornings.  Your room can be a wreck, but if you take the time to make your bed it makes a world of difference.  Colton even helps out and makes his own bed… when he does he gets a sticker on his responsibility chart.  Wiping down the bathroom counter/sink it a simple task that can be done in less than a minute while the kiddos are using the potty in the morning.  To make the task super fast I leave cleaner and paper towels in the bathroom cabinet. 

Evening tasks can be a little more daunting, but I am getting in a routine and things are beginning to flow much better.  Like I said before we load the dishwasher.  The kitchen floor almost always needs to be swept so I also try to do that before bed.  Room to room  pickup is actually becoming easier too.  The two rooms that usually need the most picking up are the kitchen and playroom.  Chris and I try to always get the children to help clean up their playroom before bath.  Honestly, I feel so much better in the morning when I walk down the steps and see a tidy playroom (the first room I see).  It does not stay clean long, but hey I will take the small victories at this point!

The duties I have divided up by day are slowly falling into place.  Vacuuming is something I enjoy doing.  I think it’s the instant gratification that comes with it.  A lot like mowing, something my husband is not keen on me doing since I ran our tractor into a tree two summers ago (big smile!).  I do not have it on my schedule, but I typically vacuum at least twice a week and it is almost always Monday and Friday.

Friday is my swing day because that is typically the day that I use to run errands.  On occasion this day switches up with another day, usually Wednesdays.  This all depends on my OB appointments and whatever else we may have going on for the week.  Once Colton starts preschool I will most likely keep him home one day a week and that is usually Wednesday or Fridays, whichever day it is that day will most likely be my swing day.

So there you have it … that is how I attempt to keep a clean and tidy home.  What are your secrets to success?

Pin It

blog comments powered by Disqus