December 8, 2012

Beckham’s Delivery–Part 1

December 8, 2012

In an effort to better ensure my odds of my OB delivering the baby (as opposed to one of the other 5 in the office) I made sure to schedule my last few appointments on her on-call days.  To help increase my odds of a third natural (and drug free) delivery I had no plans of spending an exceeding amount of time in the hospital and my wonderful OB was totally on board.

My 38 week checkup was on a Wednesday.  I had dilated some and the OB gave me the option of going ahead and checking into the hospital and having my water broken – ummm, “NO THANK YOU!”.  I was not up for an entire day in the hospital rushing the delivery of a baby that obvious was not ready.  My next appointment was the following Monday and she was quite certain I would make it until then.

From Wednesday to Monday I had a ton of contractions.  With two toddlers it is impossible not to stay active.  I was on my feet constantly and in the afternoon when I had a chance to sit down and relax I really noticed the contractions.  There was even one night when we called my Mother In Law to have her on standby just in case we needed her in the middle of the night.

Monday morning rolled around and I just knew that was going to be the day.  I had a 9:30am appointment – we took both Colton and Claire with us to the appointment.  Sure enough when I arrived I was five centimeters.  I think my OB was as happy as I was!  She wanted to go ahead and walk me over to the hospital, but I knew it was going to be a while and opted to just wait.  Besides we had the kids with us and we needed to get them back to the grandparents house and settled.

It’s over an hour drive to the grandparents so we stopped at Chick Fil-A for a late breakfast and some playtime.  Everyone enjoyed themselves including mom ;).  Once we got to my father in laws we all settled in – had some lunch and Claire and I took a nap together.  I am so glad I was able to rest because I was going to need the energy later and napping with my sweet girl was so nice.

Finally, we headed back to Knoxville making it to the doctors office right before five.  I had made a little more progress so we went ahead and walked over to the hospital.

Ok… now for a little back tracking and explaining of what went on next:

With my first pregnancy I initially thought I wanted my mom and Chris’ mom in the delivery room with us – I wanted them to be able to experience the moment with us.  As my due date approached and I learned more and more about natural childbirth both Chris and I decided that it would be best that only he be with me.  So when I had Claire we went in with the same plan.  This pregnancy however had been quite different in that we were totally NOT expecting to be expecting!

The one person (besides my husband) who has been right by my side, praying for me, praying with me, encouraging me, lifting me up – has been my girlfriend Christine.  The first few weeks preceding the positive pregnancy test I think she called everyday to check on me.  I was in shell-shock!  She wanted a natural childbirth with her two girls and ended up needing c-sections with both of them.  My heart broke for her both times when she did not get to have the childbirth experience she wanted.  Christine is so giving and so compassionate.  She is one of the most loving people I know… she makes me want to be a better person.  She had given so much to me and now I had the opportunity to give something to her.  The experience of being with us during our delivery of baby #3.  Once I had settled in with the idea of having a third child I knew that I wanted her to be with Chris and I in labor and delivery.  When I mentioned it to her she was thrilled!  So all these pictures are courtesy of her!

IMG_8982

Christine walked in the door giddy, grinning from ear to ear… she immediately started snapping photos!

IMG_9004

This guy… this guy is definitely my superhero!  You just have no idea!

IMG_8990

All of my nurses were wonderful!  We seriously had such great help!  The nurse that admitted me was super sweet with a great sense of humor.  Thank goodness because my husband can be a complete goof-ball sometimes … him and Christine together – well that is a complete riot!

IMG_8997

The night had just begun and I look totally exhausted already!  However, I had a smile because I was now admitted and able to get up and walk!  And walk we did… I should had worn my Garmin just to measure how far we walked!

IMG_9006

You may remember that I am a self proclaimed five stage clinger and need my husband at all times – well… stay tuned and you will understand just what I mean!


blog comments powered by Disqus