July 4, 2013

Knoxville Half Marathon 2013

July 4, 2013
Side Note: I have had this post drafted for a long time – obviously a long time because this was race was in April.  However, post Boston I found it hard to hit the publish button on this post.  After receiving my Runners World this past month which was fully dedicated to Boston I realized it was important to continue to share my running with all those who wanted to read… So here you go!
________________________________________________________________________________
This was the flag at the start of the Knoxville Half Marathon this year.
Happy Independence Day!
IMG_5242
When I found out I was pregnant last March one of the first things I did was look at the calendar – counted out 6 weeks from my due date to see if that left me enough time to train for the Knoxville Half Marathon.  The race was scheduled for the first Sunday in April which gave me just about 12 weeks. 
Plenty of people shook their head and told me I was nuts to try to run that far that soon after having a baby, but I was determined.  So January 1st of this year I started my training plan!
I have always been blessed with great running partners and this year has been no exception.  I have had the wonderful opportunity to train with a sweet Godly young lady, Abi.  This was her first half marathon – I think I was more excited for her than I was for myself!
Here we are right before jumping into our corral…
IMG_5241
Abi took her phone along on the race – something that I have been wanting to do.  She captured a lot of great photos!  This one cracked me up.  “You just passed a Kenyan … You’re doing a great job!”
IMG_5243
This sign was so funny… and one of many in about a 2 mile radius.  Lots of runners stopped to snap their photos next to these signs.
IMG_5251
Abi’s mom snapped these photos as I was running into Neyland Stadium… seriously the best finish of any race!
IMG_5247IMG_5248
I hit a wall at mile 10… for some reason I always hit a wall at that point… however, when I saw the finish line and my kiddos and husband cheering me on the adrenaline kicked in and helped me finish strong.
IMG_5249
My goal has always been 2:10 – I knew around mile 9 that that was not going to happen… and honestly I was okay with it.  I kept telling myself “I just ran a half marathon 4 1/2 months after having a baby”.  That in itself was a huge accomplishment for me.
IMG_5250
Of course I had to snap a photo of my Garmin.
IMG_5238
(Half #3) My official race time was 2:19:07
(Half #2) Last years Knoxville Half was 2:22:30
(Half #1) Secret City Half November 2011 – 2:21:31

blog comments powered by Disqus